Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

And then there were 5

I always know when Summer's over - not because I have to dig out the jumpers or the days are getting shorter, but by the number of settings around the dinner table.  The heady days of average table settings of 14 are becoming a distant memory. Our maximum this summer hit 50 catering for our Gardening Club barbecue, a one off yes, but we never had less than 9 for dinner.

Now family have gone back to England, the gites are empty, my eldest is back at Uni, 2nd eldest is back to weekly boarding and our au pair's gone back to her studies in Romania.  Today, for the first time since June, there were only 5 settings to lay at the dinner table.  How normal - it doesn't feel right.  I can't wait till next Summer.

What signifies the end of Summer for you?

2 comments:

  1. Loving your blog...just found it through Keith at a Taste of Garlic.
    Your comments are always north of pertinent!!
    So what is the end of summer for me....oh god, back to school and all those forms to fill out AGAIN, visits to the supermarket with a hired minibus to bring home all the stationery supplies,end of visitors,back to work but best all that wonderful wonderful autumn harvest at the market for me to get my hands onto and cook up.
    Look forward to continue reading you. My kindest regards, Susie
    http://desperateanglohousewivesfr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susie. Autumn is the best time for food and what lovely recipes you have on your blog. Looking forward to trying some of them

    ReplyDelete